Friday 10 February 2012

Student Profile - Brian M.


Here is Brian before he discovered Bikram Yoga. After photo is at the end :)
Tell us about your very first Bikram Yoga class … when was it and why did you go?
My first class was in February 2010 after an illness whereby it was suggested that hot yoga might help with the symptoms. The first time I went to the studio in January I was still to sick to go, however I returned in February and after that class I knew that I had found something that I would be doing for a long time.  I returned two days later and since then have been to over 400 classes in slightly less than 2 years.

What are some of the benefits you receive from Bikram Yoga?
The practice instils in me a sense of calmness and balance that I begin to crave if I go too long without it. I find that when life is out of balance outside of the studio I am off balance in the studio and I use the practice to bring things back to an even keel. A consistent practice for me pushes me to live a healthier lifestyle and forgo previous poor choices in terms of nutrition and sleep.

What do you find most challenging about practicing Bikram Yoga?
I enjoy the difficulty of this exercise and the fact that it is not easily mastered. My challenges change with every session. One day it’s my mind which wants to flee the heat, other days I have the flexibility of my first day. Poses I use to love I now dread but every once in a while I have a class which defies all expectation and I feel fantastic. The progress is millimetre by millimetre and it is a long and hard road. No matter how well you think you have mastered a pose there is always another step to push you beyond what you thought was the limit. Listen to the dialogue because it’s all there and your breath is everything.

What’s your favorite posture? Your most dreaded posture?
I love triangle pose but my favourite poses are the ones that I initially and still struggle with but can see progress. It took me 300 hundred classes to be able to properly kick out in standing head to knee and I can still only do this on one side however lately there is some hope for the right side and I will continue with my struggle because away from the studio I feel healthy, strong and happy.

Any New Year's resolutions for 2012?
In 2012 I will make a decision about teacher training.

What a change! What amazing role model!

1 comment:

Pressure Cooking Recipes said...

Hi thhanks for sharing this