Saturday 25 February 2012

Student profile - Olivia P

Tell us about your very first Bikram Yoga class… When was it and why did you go?
My very first class was in June 2011.  I went because my good friend Alyssa (also now a Bikram yogi) found an online coupon and wanted to try it.  I was hesitant at first but thought it would be something fun to do together. Partway through the first class Tom asked how it was so far and all I could say was, “It’s hot.”  Needless to say I think he rolled his eyes at me.  But by the end I felt like I had worked harder than I ever had before and was excited to see how I would do the next time.

How soon did you come back for your second class?
I can’t exactly remember the next day I went back… it was probably 2 or 3 days later.  Alyssa and I were determined to go together as much as we could and working around our schedules was somewhat challenging.

What are some of the benefits you receive from Bikram Yoga?
I feel a lot better about myself in general with regular practice.  My head is clearer, I worry less and have better focus.  I feel stronger in other activities like running because I know what my body is capable of.  I also like to think that I avoided getting sick this winter when many people around me were because of Bikram.

What keeps you coming back for more?
I think at this point it’s pretty much an addiction.  If I have a great class I can’t wait to go back for more.  If I have a not so great class I can’t wait to go back and have a better one.  I love the mental and physical challenge it gives me as well as being able to escape real life for an hour and a half.

What do you find most challenging about practicing Bikram Yoga?
The most challenging part for me is not having any expectations in class.  I’ve learned that every day is different with Bikram and you can’t go into class expecting to perform the same as, or better than, yesterday.  You can only do your best for that day and your best is constantly changing.  Although it’s hard to accept this sometimes!

What’s your favourite posture?  Your most dreaded posture?
I try very hard not to prefer one posture to another because if I find myself dreading certain ones it makes them that much more unpleasant to do, which makes them harder for me to improve in.  But with that being said I’ll admit that I do like some postures better than others.  I look forward to doing triangle because I like the concept of connecting your heart and lungs and that it works every part of your body at the same time. Your body also makes a pretty neat shape in it.  I have always somewhat dreaded hugging both my knees to my chest in wind removing pose because my spine does not want to stay on the ground and my arms are often slippery, which makes holding this one fairly challenging.

Any New Year's resolutions for 2012?
Hmm... do more yoga?  I think I'm doing well with that so far.

No comments: